Friday, May 15, 2009

What makes a Leader?

I've read so many book on leadership from TIm Elmore to Bill HUghes. Even my dad teaches leadership in churches. So, one day i was invited by a church to give a short 2 hour seminar on Youth Leadership. Surprised & amazed by GOd, i accepted the invitation. Quickly i start to stack all my books on leadership near my computer...(not all mine, most of them is my dad's :p). Here i am in front of my pc ready to put all points i can get from the book.

Nothing wrong right? but I was rebuked by the Holy SPirit "what are you gonna impart to the people? knowledge or life?" Wow...i was strucked! mere knowledge or life? I repent..tobat weii..so i put aside the books.....NOT! of course i need the book. Just to refresh what i've learn & what i've done after reading the book. Again i rephrase, what i've learn & what i've done. So, basically during the seminar, i share everything about what i've done (not literally everything, time not enuf to share about God's goodness in my life & RYC).

We preach what we've done, not do what we've preach. So, that morning i brought along some of RYC leaders who'r close to me. I brought them so that they can learn something & they can see whether what i share during the 2 hours is something that i've done or just a knowledge or they might think "Eh, nda pernah pun koko buat mcm tu? cakap ja lebih"...so, in other words, being transparent.

You know, last time i always heard some pastor's or church leader's children give comment on their father's preaching at the back of the church while their father is preaching in front. Well, u guess right! They basically said "he's just saying it in front of the church, but he doesn't do as he says". Wow..imagine, how a leader can impact his/her family's life! SO, friends, leaders, better practice intergrity from now, be transparent, welcome comment & inputs from others...especially the people you lead.

So, here's what i believe & what i've learn about What Makes A Leaders :
  • Spiritually
  • Character
  • Knowledge
  • Skill
  • COmmunity
  • Vision

I'll write more in my next post :) Stay connected with the above, be inspired. God bless.

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion, what makes a leader is responsibility, integrity, self-confidence, capacity of taking the best decisions and implementing new ideas.
    I've learned about this subject at a Leadership training camp, which was held by http://www.robinsonleadership.com and where I've spent such a great time!

    ReplyDelete